Have a Mission-Minded Christmas!
Christmas is a great time to be a light for Jesus. Get started with these 5 simple ideas, plus 10 links to our December articles and podcasts.
- MERRY CHRISTMAS! - When anyone says, “Happy Holidays,” encourage your kids to be friendly as you respond with a cheerful “Merry Christmas!” or “Jesus Loves You!” or a cute kid-question , “Did you know that Christmas is Jesus’ birthday?”
- CONNECT WITH YOUR NEIGHBORS! -- Pray specifically for your neighbors, and perhaps deliver a plate of Christmas cookies along with hand-written cards or loving notes about God’s salvation.
- GO CHRISTMAS CAROLING AT A CARE CENTER! -- Visit elderly people in a local nursing home and sing God-glorifying Christmas carols. Read the Christmas story and take time to visit with these people and talk to them about the Lord.
- PRAY FOR YOUR RELATIVES -- Specifically pray for relatives and friends who need Jesus (collect photos from incoming Christmas cards to pray throughout the year). Don’t be afraid to invite people to church or to a special Christ-centered event).
- PLAN A CHRISTMAS EVE "SKIT" -- performed by your sweet non-threatening kids, to clearly share the real salvation reason for Christ’s coming to earth. You could sing a few traditional carols, such as God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, or Joy to the World and read or recite the Christmas story from Luke 2:1-20.
Sing HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO JESUS: -- Begin by reading aloud THE WHOLE WORLD NEEDS JESUS. This mission-minded children's book has a fun rhyming text, similar in length to "Twas the Night Before Christmas." -- After you read it, bring in a birthday cake for Jesus and have everyone sing "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" to Jesus ending with a second verse, "OH HOW WE LOVE YOU!"
Happy birthday to You. Happy birthday to You.
Happy birthday Dear Jesus. Happy Birthday to You.
Oh, how we love You. Oh, how we love You.
Oh, how we love Jesus. Oh, how we love You."
10 more links from Mission-Minded Families:
- The Amazing Light of Hanukkah -- Blog article (teaching and ideas for families)
- 12-Days of Christmas -- Podcast series on Mission-Minded Families
Christmas Articles for Families
- Mission-Minded Christmas -- Peace
- Mission-Minded Christmas -- Surrender
- Mission-Minded Christmas -- Presence
- Mission-Minded Christmas -- Simplicity
- Mission-Minded Christmas -- Holy Days
- Mission-Minded Christmas -- Home
- Mission-Minded Christmas -- Giving
- Mission-Minded Christmas -- Fun Ideas